Friday, January 11, 2013

The mystery of the moment

"What's in there?" Even before children can talk they wonder. They want to look in boxes, suitcses, open drawers, look into cabinets. Life is a mystery—a puzzle full of wonder with things inside other things, surprises in disguises.

When I was a kid, I was curious about buildings, houses, garages and sheds in my home town. I had a goal of going into every house. I tried to go into every business. Visiting friends, selling cookies, trick-or-treating and Christmas carolling got me peeks into private homes.

Some folks are curious about how machines work, or similarities in the skeletons of different birds. Some learn how guitars are built, or what makes a soufflé rise. Notice what your children wonder about. Help them explore the world. Nurture your own curiosity. You can't know what will happen, or what you will find, and some of it will be wonderful.

A mom named Amy left a comment on a Just Add Light and Stir post:

I had always wanted to learn to live in the moment, but it seemed a great mystery. Having my daughter and becoming an unschooler, I finally get it! . . . We are living together, happily, every day. What a nice way to be.
Amy's comment is here
photo by Sandra Dodd

1 comment:

  1. Amy wrote:

    I tried to comment on the blog, but it doesn't seem to be going through.

    "...to learn to live in the moment" is what I meant, but I like all three translations.
    __________________________________________

    I'm sorry that some people aren't able to comment on this blog. I've tried changing settings. Something's wrong with it somewhere, maybe.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment!